Friday, May 18, 2007

Last week in Nantes: Almost shot and tear gassed but hey gotta love the French!

Well the last week in Nantes was great. I had my cultural report to finish which kept me busy but I still managed to get out a bit with friends.
On the monday (may 7th) a couple friends came to visit, Nicoles from bordeaux arean, and Agathe and Nadine from Paris. We decided to head out and check out some Nantes night life. On our little promenade we heard some yelling etc. which was fairly normal considering the results from the elections had just been released and they had been adverstising a rally or protest in the area. On our lovely little walk down one of the many little alley ways Nantes has to offer, we heard some louder screaming followed by some lovely shots fired, about 8 in fact. The next thing we know we are caught right in the middle of a stampede!!
Luckily me, nor my friends managed to get shot by the little rubber bullets being fired by the riot police in the neighbourhood. We decided to make our way to the other side of town which seemed much more quiet and friendly. We went to cafe culte and indulged in one of their racks of shots - vodka caramel my favorite. The night was winding down and I thought we should head home for some rest. I had to meet up with my friend David who insisted I not walk home alone in the chaos of Nantes. Due to the riots the trams were not exactly running regularly, cars were being lit on fire etc. so I thought I would take him up on his offer. Behold on my way out of the bar towards the little walking passage I needed to cross to get to rue de la juiverie and the safety of John McByrne I come between a group of rioters and a full line of police in riot gear - who seemed rather eager or at least ready to launch some tear gas into the crowds. I sent my friends on their way on safe route home and ran my little heart out to the John. Of course when i get there and tell Davey boy and the rest of my adventures they decide that it would be fun to go and find some trouble (because of course Dave wanted me to get home safetly! And also it wasn't enough that Pete got tear gassed the night before!). Luckily for me, there was no more trouble to be found. The crowds had moved on to another part of town, which the boys in their drunken state (or hangover state) no longer had the patience to find. It was a marvelous adventure and just another example of the chaos that can be France. Awhh how I miss it!!!

No comments: